hCG+

Friday, March 03, 2006

Boing!

Yesterday TheLimey and I went to the (new) midwife. We're not sure what we're going to do now that we're moving to a town that will be 60 miles away from that practice, but hey, might as well make the appointment. I have filled out so much paperwork lately that I got a little cocky, answering the question "Do you smoke?" with "No, but the baby does. --KIDDING!"

TheLimey was a little nervous entering the hallowed halls of women's health care, but I'm very proud of his participation. For someone who's squeamish about hearing the word "veins", he's making great progress.

He was a bit surprised that the midwife was a slender young thing with blue eye shadow rather than a portly, middle-aged woman with a bun. Okay, I guess I was expecting someone a little older, too, but I could tell she knew what she was talking about when I asked her complicated questions. (Also, I recognize that people in positions of authority are getting younger and younger relative to my age, so I might as well start getting used to it now.)

I'm still losing weight, but I've been able to eat some nearly-normal meals lately, so it may be turning around.

We did get to see another sonogram. It's hard to resist. This one was transabdominal, so I didn't have to Assume The Position in the presence of my husband, which I don't know if he's ready for just quite yet. (We talked a bit about boundaries in unpredictable situations and I just told him to not do anything he didn't yet feel comfortable doing.)

The sonogram was actually quite funny. The baby was jumping and jumping like a little mad thing in its compartment--boing, boing, boing! And waving its little arms and kicking its legs. We were all laughing. The midwife was surprised at how active it was, which made TheLimey worry that it must mean something bad. However, she reassured him that it just meant it's a strong baby and I have a lot of pregnancy hormones (tell me about it!)

He was so pleased and happy all afternoon, that he bought me a big hardbound, gilt-edged collected-novels-of-Jane-Austen from the bargain books at Barnes and Noble. (Really, he would've gotten every other book I picked up, too, but I declined.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home