hCG+

Saturday, February 25, 2006

Generally Speaking

I'm feeling a lot less horrible. I still don't feel my best in the morning (or the evening for that matter), and always end up sleeping a few hours in the middle of the day. However, the reduced workload (and possibly the vitamin B6) have helped a great deal.

I still don't have the energy to do much of anything, even mental work, but I did manage to do my laundry during the week and even loaded the dishwasher once. Poor husband. Lucky for me he's such a brick, and tells me that I'm the one doing the work of growing the kid, so he's glad to do it. (He says.)

I'm certainly getting tired of being a slug, though. I don't feel overtly sick most of the time, I just feel nearly sick. It's still like I'm convalescing from something, and my belly always feels just a bit--off, I guess I'd say.

Last week I weighed myself on the sliding-beam scale in my office and found that I'd lost weight since the previous time, which worried me a little but I've seen enough references to it that I guess it's not that unusual. I think that will probably even out soon. I've been able to eat at least once a day each day this week.

My hair is growing like crazy, and so are my nails. Unless they really just grew gradually and I'm attributing it to the pregnancy. --But, no! Your metabolism does indeed speed up, so it would make sense.

We have an appointment to visit a midwife next week. I had to go through a lot of referrals and phone calls to find one, but she's associated with the Alternative Birthing Center. That's a big draw for me. I don't want pitocin, episiotomy, artificial membrane rupture, and so forth! No! Nonononono! ...And those things are a lot less likely with a midwife and in a birthing center than with an OB in a standard delivery setting.

If she doesn't seem to be what I want, I'll try the OB that one of my professors raves about. I don't know how insurance is going to take several practitioner initial visits, but there doesn't seem to be much choice if I want to check out more than one caregiver. I tried to schedule just a consultation, but they wouldn't do it. It's like you can't come in contact with any service without being hooked into the entire 9-month machine of someone's practice. I liken it to requiring me to commit to marriage before they're willing to go on a first date with me.

A friend of mine kindly drove out to visit me the other day (bringing a baby outfit and a mix CD). I tried to show how much belly I've grown, but she couldn't see it.

"Really! It's a lot bigger! See? I can't button my pants anymore!" I insisted.

"But I really just can't tell!" she pleaded. "It looks normal to me!"

(However, this is the same woman who refused to believe I wear a size 8 jeans (that large!) until I actually tried them on, and thereafter called me "Illusion-Body.")

5 Comments:

  • I'm sure that I read recently that episiotomies are no longer handed out routinely.

    People are often shocked that I weigh 124 pounds. "But you're so tiny!"

    These days, I'm afraid to put the batteries back into the bathroom scale.

    By Blogger argotnaut, at 2:05 PM  

  • Ha! I've got at least 12 pounds on you now, missy.

    As for episiotomies, they are still quite widely done. It's one of those things you want to specifically exclude in your birth plan, like circumcision for your baby boy. (Although that's less routine now too, it's still quite common.)

    By Blogger liz, at 10:15 PM  

  • Stats:

    Episiotomy used in about 35% of births overall, but 70-80% of first-time deliveries.

    By Blogger liz, at 5:04 PM  

  • Ack! Well, maybe it's like hysterectomies. You have to step up and surprise them by telling them not to do it. "Oh! You don't want one? Well, I think you're nuts not to take advantage of this limited offer, but okay..."

    By Blogger argotnaut, at 1:47 AM  

  • I have seriously considered writing a prohibition on my thigh in permanent marker that day, just in case. (With a big frowny face and exclamation points.)

    And maybe I should also draw the correct (horizontal) orientation for a slice if a C-section is absolutely necessary. (Which it won't be!)

    By Blogger liz, at 8:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home