hCG+

Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Doubts

I have read that a somewhat common phenomenon for new fathers is to have an (acknowledgedly) irrational suspicion that the baby is not theirs. This is explained as basically self-doubt about having accomplished something so monumental. (Clearly not as much an issue for new mothers, for obvious reasons.)

TheLimey and I have discussed this delusion, and if he's experienced it, he's certainly not letting on. However, he did experience some doubt the other day about the actual existence of the pregnancy. I had to reassure him that not only have I not menstruated since mid-December, but the tests (hey, I had an extra and I used it up just for kicks) came out positive.
(Type I errors are just not very common with pregnancy tests, unless you're taking fertility drugs that include HcG.) I admit I had trouble believing it for a while myself, and had to remind myself of those facts from time to time. But at least he was reassured. Lucky for him.

So as I left the bathroom this morning, shaky and teary-eyed from hanging over the toilet, he quipped: "Are you sure you're pregnant?"

Now that I'm reading another of my massive tomes on pregnancy, it looks like this is also a common reaction for men (the doubt, not the bad jokes). There is a section with quotes from women who were terribly disappointed that their (male) partners simply did not believe it, or refrained from getting excited, until there was some official word from a physician.

Which is actually kind of...well, insulting. They don't believe you about important personal matters until an authority figure backs you up? Or are men so out of touch with their bodies that they can't imagine being able to know what's going on in your own body? Or what is it, exactly?

As I said, [ominously] it's lucky he believed me.

2 Comments:

  • Well, you know, I had a hard time believing it, too. There's just some sense of unreality associated with it for me. And I _am_ a womon.

    By Blogger argotnaut, at 1:15 PM  

  • Yeah, but you did believe me--sense or no sense--without a doctor's note. (Also, it's not like you're around to hear all the complaining firsthand, so you'd have more of an excuse anyway.)

    By Blogger liz, at 4:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home