hCG+

Saturday, February 04, 2006

So....tired

I wanted dearly to be one among that tough 20% of women who don't get nausea during pregnancy, but it wasn't to be. I've been pretty consistently ucky this week, though no actual barfing or even retching. The wives' tale about nausea indicating a strong pregnancy would make sense, as the same hormones that maintain pregnancy are the ones that are nauseating. It lasts until about noon or 1pm, and then I'm usually ravenous. I hope it does indeed diminish around week 12 or so as it does for many.

Also I have been increasingly exhausted. I came home Thursday afternoon and have been awake only in the evenings since then. Only in the evenings! This makes it hard to get any work done, obviously. I am wondering if there is an element of anemia in this, although I've been downing the blackstrap and potatoes-with-peels and things cooked in the iron skillet and so forth. Today I wasn't particularly hungry; I seem to be losing my appetite to some extent.

Luckily, I have my first OB-Gyn visit next Friday, as this will be week 8 so I can get prenatal visits now. I'm sure they'll take blood and perform all kinds of diagnostic things, and can see if I'm anemic or not. It could be that I'm just going to be exhausted for a few weeks.

Still haven't worked out the midwife business, but at least I have seen some news that the governor signed some legislation last fall making insurance companies pay for nurse-midwives.

4 Comments:

  • I think you've been doing quite enough to warrant tiredness without needing anemia to explain it!

    And maybe the critter is saying, "Yeah, I've got your to-do list right here. We're having a nap NOW!"

    By Blogger argotnaut, at 1:10 PM  

  • There must be a lot of growth, too, as I seem to be losing my waist rather rapidly this week.

    By Blogger liz, at 2:02 PM  

  • Oh yeah...progesterone is not only nausea inducing, but also a natural sedative. I'd wager a guess that I have a bit of that stuff.

    By Blogger liz, at 3:46 PM  

  • From my limited experience, the extreme tiredness is normal. All your energy is going to create this complex mass of cells and nerves and bones. It's kinda like having a parasite (but the cutest durned parasite ever.)

    By Blogger Gwen, at 1:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home