hCG+

Sunday, January 29, 2006

Various

Having frequent low-grade nausea. Very low-grade, but very constant. I can no longer blame it entirely on vitamins or whatever, because I just wake up with it. It's kind of maddening, like when you almost have a headache. However, it's certainly better than barfing outright, and seems pretty amenable to folk remedies (like drinking Sprite, which is my new thing.)

It seems that my stomach has two settings: this low-grade nausea, and starving! We don't have a decent scale at home, so I don't know if I've gained any weight. Doesn't look too much like it.

This week the baby's bronchi are developing. Relatedly, I have an appointment at the student clinic to get my inhalers refilled. I'm not looking forward to this, because I've been treated so disrespectfully at this particular clinic so many times before, and now I have to let them in on my pregnancy.

...or do I?

I guess I could lie about when my last period was, which they always ask. I hate that idea, because I'm used to being very forthcoming and frank to my practitioners. Of course, I also hate being treated like I absolutely don't know anything and my wishes are completely irrelevant.

As for medical care during pregnitude, my first impulse is to hide in a cave and not let anyone see until it's all over. Failing that, I'd like a midwife. However, the insurance we have (a very big and common one) doesn't list any midwives as participants at all in the provider search function.

I have found some midwives and "birthing centers" posted online in the area, but not through the insurance search. I guess I can call them and ask. I'm worried that my insurance will balk at letting me use a midwife because I'm 38, and thus have fallen into the "high-risk" category simply by ageing out, not because of anything specific to me or the fetus.

I am also going to call one (or more) of the three osteopathic ob-gyns listed (out of 100). At least they are more likely to be health-oriented and treat me less like I'm a walking medical condition straight off the bat.

2 Comments:

  • Yes, some acquaintance of Andrew's was automatically classified as high-risk because she was over 30 or 35.

    Mild nausea/constant starving sounds like the jetlag reaction I had the first few days in Germany.

    By Blogger argotnaut, at 1:47 PM  

  • I do feel pretty jetlagged, aside from the part where I haven't been in a jet lately.

    By Blogger liz, at 11:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home