hCG+

Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Nerves

The past couple mornings I admit I have been a slight bit nauseous. However, I also attribute this to taking both zinc and blackstrap molasses (for the iron) among my morning vitamins, and then not eating until I get to school. (They're both barfogenic for me.) Have discovered I must eat ASAP, preferably something like a frozen dinner rather than wimpy yogurt and nuts.

Symptoms like dry-eye, shakes, agitation, etc. seemed to have calmed down in the past couple of days as well, however, so I guess it's a trade-off.

But I feel nervous this morning at having less symptoms, and I remember that my mother could always tell very early whether a pregnancy would "take" or not. Obviously, I haven't done this as often as she had, so I don't have any baseline comparison for somatic experiences. I just want to get to a doctor and get a doppler of the heartbeat (at 8 weeks/45 days DPO, so a couple more weeks) so I can feel more confident of its continuance.

I knew already that it's bad to take aspirin in the third trimester, but I have recently been reading that aspirin (or any Non Steroidal Anti Inflammatory whatchamajigger, really) appears to interfere with implantation if taken around conception, thus increasing the likelihood of miscarriage. And that week of implantation I took aspirin several times as it was my first week of interviews (and I really didn't think I was pregnant--I thought I had PMS!) Of course I quit right away when I realized, but still.

(Though oddly, since then I haven't had any headaches at all, not even the rather mild ones I have gotten the past couple years of grad school. I stopped drinking coffee right away, and have been getting a little more regular sleep, perhaps that's it.)

So, anyway, I have been a little nervous that I could have sabotaged my offspring's nest without knowing it.

I have to go out of town again this week for interviews, but it's the last week. Three weeks in a row being out of town is plenty, I'll tell you what. I'm about sick of it. (Stupid interviews, interfering with my life!) I thought yesterday that being pregnant would be a lot more fun if I could actually have time to do it instead of having to pay attention to just about everything else in the world, all day, every day.

3 Comments:

  • Blackstrap molasses! That would make me barf right there. I can't handle vitamins with iron in them -- it takes about 5 minutes to produce results. And not eating breakfast makes me queasy (which is kind of funny, considering that I never ate it in the pre-Frinky days). I'm not at all surprised that you're feeling nauseated with that regimen!

    I think that coffee gets a bad rap in general. I've never seen any large-scale study that shows it to be harmful, except in insane doses that I could never possibly ingest anyway.

    Frinky's mom laughs uproariously with her five kids when told that coffee reduces one's fertility.

    By Blogger argotnaut, at 1:00 PM  

  • P.S. I have your headaches. Let me know when you need them back. Soon, preferably.

    By Blogger argotnaut, at 1:02 PM  

  • Ha ha ha ha!! I will need you to keep them for another---oh, say, 20 years or so. Thanks!


    I have actually read research on caffeine and fertility which suggests some detrimental results.

    Obviously, it's not a dichotomous condition ("caffeine = no babies"), but it does reduce (for example) conception rates compared to (for example) tea drinking. (Any caffeine = vasoconstrictor, so less uterine blood flow = generally bad in any case.)

    However, it's great for asthma!

    By Blogger liz, at 2:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home