hCG+

Friday, September 08, 2006

Magnesium Flare-ups

As I recently noted a slow creep upward of my blood pressure the last couple prenatal visits, I have begun taking magnesium supplements again to counteract it.

However, magnesium relaxes more than the placental (and other) blood vessels: it relaxes all your smooth muscles. That's great for my bronchi, and I furthermore don't even mind the change from "pretty darn constipated--ouch!" to "goes three or four times daily."

What I do mind is the relaxation of what little protection my upper GI gave me by having a closure at the top of the stomach, since now I have absolutely killer reflux simply all the time. it burns constantly, awake or asleep, and feels like I am just about to or have just finished barfing at any given time.

Bed is the worst--I think I was whimpering in my sleep, what sleep I was able to get. Since my stomach is squished down to a flat little baggie in there anyway at this point, there's basically no barrier between my stomach and my throat, particularly when I lie down. This means it's really hard to get any sleep, and I'm even tired-er during the days. I hardly got any work done at all yesterday, not even unloading the dishwasher and making the bed, let alone entering my data.

I may try to prop the top of myself up at an angle tonight. That will go just great with how I already have to prop my feet and lower legs up to reduce the swelling that occurs all during the day! And since I can't sleep on my back or my front, I'll just basically be imitating an angle-iron, sideways, all night. Sheesh.

I still want the baby to take its time: I just wish all these troublesome "symptoms" would be gone!

3 Comments:

  • I had forgotten about that magnesium-asthma thing. Although I don't recall that it helped me much anyway.

    By Blogger argotnaut, at 8:39 PM  

  • I'm more doing it for the capillaries, specifically the cross-placental ones. They use mamgnesium [sulfate] to treat eclampsia, so it can't hurt to be proactive. Anyway, it helped the last time my BP went up.

    By Blogger liz, at 9:11 PM  

  • I don't know what an angle-iron is. But I picture you all mashed up in a hospital bed like taco filling.

    By Blogger argotnaut, at 12:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home