hCG+

Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Birthing Tour

Just a quick post, as I am really trying to get non-gestation work done today.

We attended an orientation to the Alternative Birthing Center last night. I really just wanted a tour, but there was a nearly 2-hour lecture about their philosophy first. It was pretty much all stuff I already knew, so I was somewhat bored. When one of the other attendees raised her hand and asked what a placenta was, steam came out of my ears and I got out my PDA to play Bejeweled ("easy" setting).

However, I think it reassured TheLimey that we will get to do things the way that I want and he won't have to be fighting any physicians while I'm laboring. (He's heard too many horror stories about "traditional" childbirth at this point.)

The tour was the final 15 minutes of the whole deal, so we got to see the actual center. Basically, a comfortable room with the addition of a giant tub or jacuzzi in it. And the bed doesn't do as many tricks as the beds in Labor and Delivery do, which is fine with me. (L&D is on the same floor.)

Now, the point at which steam came out of my husband's ears was when the nurse/midwife/guide mentioned that previously, the ABC cost half as much to use as Labor and Delivery, due to the lower-tech provisions in it, but when the hospital saw that people liked using it, they began charging the same amount for either. (So long, low-income families.)

We did see one actual newborn baby in the ABC, just lying there in its swaddling clothes (in caterpillar fashion) on some sort of baby platform next to an office person entering data into a computer. Probably data about the baby. Nobody was even looking at it! It really was kitten-cute, and was blinking its eyes very slowly and confusedly as we all trooped past on our way out.

They all get little electronic anklets that sound an alarm if you try to take one out of the hospital, however.

In other news, I am looking forward to some much-needed brain repair. It just goes to show that you can't be too careful about whom you allow to impregnate you, because that person's DNA is potentially inside your body forever! (Or at least a good long while.)

Also, here comes more evidence that Tom Cruise's poor child may have already gotten a rough start, besides being his child, I mean. I guess when you're really, really rich, no one bothers to warn you when you're taking stupid risks, like performing DIY ultrasound on your own fetus at home. Untrained.

There may be some upcoming cross-pollenization between this blog and my normal one.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home