hCG+

Monday, August 14, 2006

Only 3 to 6 Weeks Left!

I ordered the FuzziBunz diapers today, at least the first dozen. I got them in the least gender-specific colors I could. The best deal I could find was not the place nearest us after all, but a place in Texas. Free shipping and free microterry inserts! Volume discounts! Nursing bras! (Those are coming up all too soon, too, I guess.)

I also received some other things I ordered last week, such as an old-tyme baby scale from eBay, and a toilet-attached diaper sprayer for reduced touching of poop. We still have to set up the little cradle next to the bed, though I imagine the baby will spend a considerable amount of time actually in the bed. I found several of my baby list items at a Once Upon a Child, which was wildly exciting. Nothing like spending $50 on five or so items, when just one of them would have been $50 new.

My back has been "going out" way too easily. I simply cannot sit at the computer any more, even in TheLimey's $500 ergonomic adjustable chair. I finally was feeling pretty good last Thursday and therefore sat in it for about an hour entering my data, and completely threw my back out again. This was agonizing the rest of that day (upon which I had planned to work) and for our car-trip weekend vacation.

I really can't sit down normally anywhere. In fact I'm not sitting right now; I'm kneeling on one knee and supported by a chair under the other leg, which is the only way I can do anything at the computer. It's quite ouchy too, but not as bad as the other thing. Grumble, grumble, grumble.

It takes 4-6 weeks for your cartilage and ligaments to harden up again after birth. I can't wait. (I hope they harden up in the right position!)

Several women that we met in random places (grocery store, art gallery, etc.) over the weekend volunteered a guess that we're having a boy, based on how I'm carrying. However, the research I've seen indicates that this prediction method is only good 50% of the time. Ha ha. (I pretty much didn't say this to them, though.)

I find that I mind much less than I imagined this phenomenon of being sort of public property as a pregnant woman. I'm finding it supportive rather than intrusive, overall.

On the other hand, whenever I see one of those baby programs on The Learning Channel or whatever, I feel kind of sorry for myself. All those women have experienced family and extended family, usually mothers or mothers-in-law, who step in and take care of them those first few weeks after the birth. I am still sad that my mother--the "backwoods" lay midwife--won't be delivering my baby, and that neither my nor TheLimey's mother will be able to meet their new grandbaby. S/he would have been my mom's first grandchild (though his mum's third.) Anyway, they both would have loved to have been here and seen it.

6 Comments:

  • I wish I were going to be there, too ... :~(

    So, what are the P-values on that baby's-sex-guessing based on your appearance?

    By Blogger argotnaut, at 3:02 AM  

  • I know--I guess after this *I'll* be the experienced family member. Someone has to start!

    By Blogger liz, at 4:55 AM  

  • I don't remember any detailed significance levels about the highly subjective "carrying" prediction method.

    (Apparently I look like I "have a basketball stuffed under my shirt" according to some observers. I don't know what the interrater reliability on that is, either.)

    By Blogger liz, at 4:59 AM  

  • Do the FuzziBunz look like this?

    By Blogger argotnaut, at 1:19 PM  

  • They do once you put them on the baby. (With a little interpretive viewing, that is.)

    By Blogger liz, at 1:23 PM  

  • And are you sure you don't have a basketball stuffed under your shirt? Have you checked?

    By Blogger argotnaut, at 1:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home