hCG+

Thursday, September 14, 2006

Holding Pattern


Doesn't this look comfortable?! Lookit those veins.

Well, it all kinda petered out for Monday and Tuesday, though it came back last night and this morning. We'll see. Now that I have things mostly ready, I feel less panicked. It can take its time as far as I'm concerned.

Also, TheLimey re-injured his ankle last night playing football-not-meatball, so now he's limping around terribly. So now I'm actually the more able to walk and carry things, of the two of us. This would be very inconvenient as far as if I had to go in, say, tonight. How could he pack the car, or support me through a contraction, or walk me up and down the halls? It better heal fast, is all I have to say! He's also had a bit of a sore throat lately, so I've been dosing him with lactobacillus.

I hear that it's not terribly uncommon for men to get appendicitis when their wives are in labor. I imagine that this also extends to other injuries and illnesses to some extent, for whatever stress/unconscious reasons.

I went to a La Leche League meeting yesterday, and brought my visiting aunt/doula with me. I didn't know before that she not only was a member of LLL herself 30-odd years ago, but had trained to be a leader before they had to move out of town. So I guess you could say I have a lactation consultant on call. The women there ended up asking her a lot of questions. I also didn't know that my grandmother used a sling!

Being around all those yipping little children made the baby extremely active the entire time, and also sped up my contractions a lot. I don't know if there'll be any particular person I end up establishing a particular friendship with, but I do think that it will be a good way to get me out of the house and around other people who are doing what I'm doing, by way of increasing social support and reducing chances of post-partum depression.

However, I'm definitely going to avoid some of those especially aggressive toddlers whose mothers weren't in the slightest curbing them from running around whacking and poking and shaking all the brand-new infants! Sheesh. Especially that one toddler with her arm in a cast.

2 Comments:

  • The Schmake household is rooting for you up here in Saskatchewan. Glad you have so much great support.

    By Blogger Gwen, at 5:57 PM  

  • Thanks.

    Me too--whew!

    By Blogger liz, at 3:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home