hCG+

Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Backsliding?

I have been feeling pretty good for about...what, 7 or 8 weeks or so now? That gave me 5 or 6 weeks to finish out the teaching semester and wrap it up, and then a week or so to begin tidying up all the tattered trailing remnants of my life that have been catching on the doorjambs of the world for about five years now.

It's been great! I've actually done laundry, chased down mysterious insurance charges with Blue Cross by phone, begun clearing out the office of stacks of various papers that will interfere with my research beginning, tidied the kitchen a few times, worked on getting my data into the house and numbered, and concentrated greatly on childbirth class homework. Especially that eating bit. I'm not kidding--it takes a lot of time to daily figure out, prepare for, buy, eat, and keep track of my nutritional requirements.

I even made a weekly schedule a couple days ago that incorporates research/academic tasks and exercise/eating requirements into a reasonable, doable amount of time, while still giving me time for things like actually looking at my bank statements and bills (especially the ones in my name).

So I've felt like I am finally getting to where I can both do my work and have a life, and maybe even finish my research before the baby comes (out). Which is going to have to be a real priority, as it will be nigh-impossible to do anything on it for a long time after that, which could mean even further delays in getting this damn PhD.

However, for the past seven days, I have begun requiring more sleep again; about twelve or thirteen hours it's looking like. This means that I may well get up at 6 or 7 with TheLimey, but then within an hour I have to go back to bed for the morning. I mean, have to. So my day then begins at 11:30 or so instead of 7.

I really hate losing half the day. Sleeping late like this makes me feel depressed and weird, and really behind in everything, from the minute I awake. It means that everything I've scheduled for the morning is just gone and I have to squeeze it into the remaining five hours of the workday, which is always impossible.

I was hoping that it was just a fluke, a day or two of tiredness, but now it's gone on for a whole week. I am going to have to drastically rethink my schedule if this is going to continue for the rest of my pregnancy, because there goes eighty hours of (non-gestational) work a month, just like that >snap<.

It also does not help to be getting several invitations from the APA to join as a member (rather than a student member) "now that I've graduated." When in reality, I won't be graduating for--at the absolute earliest--another two years. Thanks for reminding me, APA!

5 Comments:

  • Don't blame me -- I'm certainly not the one in possession of the energy store!

    And anyway, no matter how much we do, it's never enough.

    By Blogger argotnaut, at 4:04 PM  

  • No, it's the kid. I think there's a brain growth spurt that begins around the third trimester...which I'm coming up on.

    I don't want to do a lot...I just want to finish my PhD and also have a non-cluttered home!

    It may be that I have to pick only two (or one) of three: 1. finish degree 2. maintain tidy household 3. have happy, healthy baby

    By Blogger liz, at 7:30 PM  

  • Based on your experiences, I think that if I do decide to spawn, I'm going to plan on doing nothing else during the pregnancy. OK, maybe one audited show-up-only-when-I-want German class or volunteer for FreeGeek, because I'll probably need to get out of the house.

    By Blogger argotnaut, at 8:38 PM  

  • Yeah, now I know to account for it when we try for another one. Like a 9-month convalescence, with maybe a month or two of respite here and there.

    Just today I was thinking that if you were feeling ambivalent, I've probably put you off completely at this point!

    By Blogger liz, at 9:40 PM  

  • Well, I don't feel any more negative about it than I did before. As Andrew once said, if you really want kids, all of the other stuff doesn't matter.

    I think the real test will be when I actually see the critter.

    By Blogger argotnaut, at 1:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home