hCG+

Thursday, April 20, 2006

We'll Call Him (?) Wriggles

We went to have the 20-week sonogram today, although it's actually 18 weeks today (there's an acceptable range). We didn't ask to find out the sex, although I think that what I saw confirms what I was already thinking.

The technician said that she was 100% sure of the sex (with the caveat that she was really only supposed to say "99% sure") of the sex, if we did want to know, but we declined. (Although I admit I did kind of want to know if I was right.) I do know it's easier to see the presence of external genitalia than to be sure of the absence of them, so for her to say she's "100% sure" also adds weight to my supposition.

One thing I was right about is where the feet are, because for the past week or so the little kicklets have been at the left side of my abdomen. I thought that either the baby had settled down in a sideways position for a while with the feet over there, or that I was totally fooling myself and the feelings were actually from some organ or part of my guts that happened to wrap around in that area and have thumps or gurgles. Apparently it really was the baby-feet option.

We got to see a lot of various baby bits in great detail--cross sections of the brain (a nice clear corpus callosum and also a nice brainstem from what I saw), eye sockets lined up properly and lip looking whole, all four chambers of the heart beating away, femurs, hand bones, spine, other bones generally, and so forth. As always, the baby was wriggling away from observation and generally being active.

We have a lot of still images from the session, so I'll scan some and post them. Of course, they don't do justice to how nifty it looks to see the kicking, stretching, and arm-flailing live and in motion, but they're still cool.

Afterwards we stopped at Target and bought me some pregger trousers, dangit. It's actually me who's palm-dampeningly anxious about spending money on clothes, not my husband. So he did encourage me to get some things, and I'm glad I did.

Oh yeah, and I found a due-date calculator that actually uses the correct algorithm, so it came up with the correct conception date and also the exact due date that I had estimated myself. (As if there's just the one day.)

3 Comments:

  • I can't wait to see them!

    I was kind of thinking it was a boy, too, for no particular reason.

    By Blogger argotnaut, at 12:48 AM  

  • Maybe it's the UHF...or maybe becaue I've been referring to it as "him"?

    By Blogger liz, at 9:42 AM  

  • s

    By Blogger liz, at 1:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home